Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lagunitas Lucky 13


I'm going to do this my way. I'm not going to adhere to the rules and regulations of proper beer reviewing etiquette. I know that Mike has done it that way, but not I. I refuse. Mostly because I'm lazy. But also because I'm a rebel.

That being said, this review will come off as more of a story. Because drinking beer shouldn't be so clinical. It's an experience. Not something to be analyzed to the Nth degree...

I picked up Lagunitas Lucky 13 "Alt" from Shoppers Vineyard in Clifton, New Jersey. I had heard of this beer before, but not the "Alt" version. I was intrigued, and since the price was right at $4.59, I added it to my cart.

Lucky 13 is a red ale, so I made sure it was fairly cold prior to the initial pour. Like all craft beers, I didn't want to over-chill it and mask the taste. But I didn't know what to expect from this beer, so I erred on the side of caution. Can't hurt.

The pour was nice. Into a snifter I had just purchased, the red, amber beer emptied nicely, forming a thin head that barely lasted. Lacing? There was none.

I let it sit for a bit and smelled it for a few moments. Very fruity. I'd be lying if I knew exactly what I smelled. But "fruit" is the first thing that came to my mind. Apple maybe? Pear? Whatever it was, it was sweet.

And then there was the taste. Maltier than I expected. But smooth beyond belief. And absurdly easy drinking. For an 8.9% ABV I expected an ever-present alcohol burn, but there was none. Sure, I could taste the alcohol, but it didn't leave any lasting effects.

For $4.59 a bomber, that was arguably the best bang for my buck I've ever received. Just a solid beer top to bottom. Did it blow me away? No. Would I drink it again? Absolutely. And again? Oh sure.

Rating: 8.7 (out of ten)

1 comment:

  1. Sean, I still have the bottle of Lucky 13 that you gave me a while ago. I'm waiting for the perfect moment to open it . . . ok it's time.

    ReplyDelete